Thursday, July 2, 2009

DAWN: Final Thoughts

Even though I’m anxious to go home and be by myself for the first time in a month, I also think I’m going to miss hanging out with this whole group. While we’ve been here the whole group has formed kind of a small family. We have tons of inside jokes and we have a lot of fun with each other. Of course, like any family we’ve had our spats but in the end we were stuck with each other for a month and we had to get over it. I think everyone has done a good job of trying not to get on each others nerves and apologizing when they had. If just one person had a bad attitude it probably could’ve ruined the whole trip.

Magdeburg 2009 368

(On top of the Millennium tower in Magdeburg)

Another thing I’m definitely going to miss is the food. I was kind of nervous about eating here because I’ve eaten at Gerhard’s in downtown Spartanburg and everything was served with some form of potato and a lot of meat. First off, I hate potatoes and while the meat was good some of it was too heavy. I thought I’d definitely lose weight while here because of the walking and then again because I might not be able to eat that much. Well, Kel says I have lost weight but I certainly can’t figure out how. The Italian food here is awesome. They have great big pizzas with salami and spaghetti baked with ham and cheese. I’ve eaten like a pig every single night. Not only the dinner but ice cream is another food group here. A meal isn’t complete without walking by one of the ten Italian restaurants and getting a cone of ice cream.

Even though right now I’m tired of them, like Jay, I’ll probably start going crazy without my Brötchen. I’ve had a Brötchen every single morning since we’ve been in Germany. For the people who live under a rock (or just don’t speak German) a Brötchen is like a little roll that goes well with pretty much anything. We’ve put cream cheese, Nutella, jam, salami, cheese, and butter on ours and most days we eat them for lunch too.

Even though the food is only a small part of what I liked about Germany, I’m probably going to go through food and ice cream withdrawals in South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment