Thursday, July 2, 2009

KYLE: Final Thoughts or…..Eternally grateful

So, it's officially my last full day (for this trip) in Magdeburg, Germany and Europe. It's been one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had in my life. I've seen and done so much here, and I've learned so much about so many things I wouldn't know where to begin explaining it (I'll try though).

Magdeburg 2009 377

(Kyle at Buchenwald)

First, I've learned lots about the nature of human kind and people. We're capable of absorbing in the environment around us and adapting to it. A baby can learn any of the thousands of languages the world has to offer. As one ages, they become a product of their experiences and the environment surrounding them. The biggest conclusion I can draw from this trip is how very similar people around the world are. I know I may have only had a glimpse into the big picture, but I think that it is evident that humans really are all very alike. Here, I've met people not only from Germany but people from around the world, from Finland, Indonesia, Columbia, and many more. Despite our many cultural, religious and lifestyle differences, we really are all in the same boat. We have the same basic needs and desires but our exact path through life is shaped by our vastly different upbringings, surroundings, governments, etc. etc.

Magdeburg 2009 158

(Kyle with our tour guide Rainer and our tutor Klaus in Dresden)

Another thing this trip has left me with is how lucky I have been to have lived the life I have so far. I've been awarded a fantastic family, friends, education, and so many other things. I've always appreciated those things but I now have a new perspective on them and for that I will be eternally grateful for having the opportunity to go on this trip.

I think if more people around the world were able to experience how much we have in common, perhaps we wouldn't have so much turmoil between us. I can only hope that some day our world leaders will be able to come to the same realizations.

Wishing for world peace,

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment