Wednesday, July 1, 2009

DAWN: Tripped up…

Kel, Klaus, and I went to school for a workshop that apparently Hendrick “told” us about. We were walking to the Strassenbahn so that we could catch the tram. I was walking fast because I thought that the tram was about to come. Without thinking about it I walked in front of an older gentleman. I didn’t bump him or anything, just walked in front of him. The next thing I knew a foot hooked mine and I tripped. Turns out the man didn’t like me walking in front of him and he stuck out his foot, wrapped it around my leg, and then pulled. I couldn’t and wouldn’t retaliate because not only was a surprised but it was a man that looked like he was in his seventies. My hands had already come up to push him back but as soon as I saw how old he was I couldn’t do it. Jokingly I told everyone else if it had been a younger person they definitely would’ve been pushed.

After he tripped me, the older man kept walking like nothing had happened and I was just flabbergasted. He crossed the street without ever looking back and I just stared after him. I heard Klaus make a shocked noise and behind me I heard Kel say, “He just tried to trip you!” She couldn’t believe what had just happened. I started laughing because honestly it was ridiculous of him to even try to trip me. Klaus looked a little embarrassed and said, “That’s not a good example of German hospitality.”

Magdeburg 2009 026

(Kel and Dawn laughing)

That was just an isolated incident (well other than the guy that licked my ear) and for the most part I’ve found the German people I’ve talked with to be very nice and patient with us. Jennifer’s friends welcomed us all and made dinner for us even though they’d only ever met Jennifer and Andrew. Also, Klaus is very friendly and I’ve gotten to talk to him quite a bit in German. Sometimes at home, I’ve heard people be kind of rude to other people who can’t speak English very well so its good to see that the German people were nice about it because if they were rude it might’ve made me not want to talk as much as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment