Tuesday, June 30, 2009

AMBER: Submerged in German culture

A little more on the weekend with my German friend!  Saturday night we had her fathers 50th birthday party.  It was a really big party with lots of people.  Her mother cooked a ton of German food, as you would expect.  There was also a good bit of German alcohol.  I was completely submerged in German culture! 

The food included wurst, goulasch, German bread, red kraut, cheeses, potato salad, fresh salad and for dessert these chocolate corner cake things.  The food was really delicious.  One of the alcohols I had was called 43 and it is mixed with milk, it taste a lot like Baileys.  I do not remember what the other alcohols were, they were some German liquors.  I do know it was very good tasting and you could easily drink too much because it tasted so delicious.  

She and her family lives in the west side of Germany and it was very interesting to hear them talk about when the Berliner Mauer (the Berlin wall) came down.  They also told me many differences in the people.  It was very cool to hear and to see some of differences here in Germany.  I have learned about the West and East side people in class but that does not compare to actually being in Germany and witnessing it.  Something her parents told me, which I find very interesting was that in the east side the older people were taught Russian and on the west side the older people were taught English.  That explains why I keep finding so many people here in the east side who do not know English.  People on the east side are not fans of Rammstein, which is my favorite band but they are well like on the west side.

HPIM2836

(Svenja’s garden)

The view outside of her house was amazing and very Germany looking, as it should be!  Svenja has lived in this house all of her life and was very used to how her backyard looks!  The two pictures I have included in this blog is the view from her playroom window, which is her backyard. 

HPIM2835

(Svenja’s backyard)

I absolutely fell in love with how it looks!  It was a sight like I have never seen in America!  Just to think that she wakes up to this view everyday and it is completely normal to her and her family amazes me! 

I really enjoyed getting the chance to spend a weekend with a German family and get to experience a German birthday party!  That is a unique experience I get to take away from this trip. 

So this leads me to talking about the German food and alcohol!  The food here is amazing! The restaurants I have been to have not been too expensive and I get a huge plate full of food!  I did not this but Germans also love their sour kraut and bread!  With almost every German meal I have gotten it either comes with some kind of kraut or bread and in some cases both!  Of course we all know that Germany is filled with Wurst!  When you walk down the street you can find some much Wurst to buy and eat!  Wurst to Germany is like hamburgers to America.  A typical German breakfast must include bread, cheese and meat.  Every single day I have been here my breakfast includes at least one of these.  I do not think I have heard the words waffle or pancake here once!  When you order a soda here, it is in a smaller glass than America serves their soda in.  The sodas also come with no ice.  If the waiter notices you are American they might try to find a couple of ice cubes to put in your drink.  Of course the beer is delicious!  At almost every meal I have had a beer.  The Germans put a little more alcohol in their beer and it is served in a much bigger glass.  This leaves me with only enough room for one or maybe two at a time!  One last thing, the ice cream is amazing!  Also, everyday I have been in Germany I have had ice cream!  When I go back home that is the one thing I will miss the most is the ice cream here!  It taste, to me, like frozen yogurt!  There are also very exotic flavors here in the ice cream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment