Saturday, June 20, 2009

JENNIFER: My Birthday in Berlin

Magdeburg 2009 096

I recently just had my birthday on June 14th, which was while we were in Dresden after we had reached Magdeburg, which was totally amazing to be in Dresden on my birthday but since I have already been to Germany once before I have German friends who live not far from Berlin. My friends wanted to meet up somewhere so that we could hang out but wouldn't let me in on the where or when part. So the second day that we were in Berlin we hopped on a train at around 6 pm and headed out to the middle of nowhere. When we finally reached out destination and I exited the train there were my two best German friends standing around the corner waiting on me! My friend Sophia was the first to hug me, actually I think that she hugged me twice, and they were the kind of hugs that really say I missed you! Next came a hug from my friend Sara, then we headed off to a bus station and when I tried to find out exactly where we were going they were like ummm we can't tell you that. So after a 10 minute or so bus ride we got off and started walking down a random street until we came upon what looked like a house and entered it. I of course had worn flats and didn't think of wearing socks with them because I didn't realize that we were going to a house because Germans always take off there shoes and leave them at the door when they enter a house sooo I had to borrow a pair of very comfortable white cotton bed slippers. Then we trekked upstairs and into a room with multiple windows and lots of decorations and poppers going off in my face and people yelling Happy Birthday! 

Magdeburg 2009 099

We had steak and bratwurst to eat along with macaroni salad and potato salad which was all very tasty.

Magdeburg 2009 091

Following all of that they had made me two cakes, which were delicious but huge! Then I opened presents which I thought was very sweet and thoughtful. Sara had actually gotten a picture of me from the last time that I was in Germany and had drawn it and it was absolutely gorgeous! After the gift opening we all sat down to a game of Werewolves which was totally fun and played in the dark with candles lit around a table. It was a game against the Werewolves and the "Willigers" as to who would kill the other the fastest. After we tired of that game we started playing of guess what's written on a piece of toilet paper that is taped to my head !!

Magdeburg 2009 011

It was hilarious! Before we could finish that game however we decided that we'd better get back to the train station so as to not miss our one and only train back into Berlin! As we reached the train station everyone hugged everyone else and said their goodbyes. So all in all it was a great night for everyone I believe, and a night I will never forget, so the moral of this blog is.... make great German friends like me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment