Wednesday, June 24, 2009

JENNIFER: Witches, gondolas and a sadistic Herr Coffman

This past Saturday we had the thrill and the pleasure of being able to go to the Harz Mountains, which contains the Hexentanzplatz or the witches dancing place in English. We took about an hour and a half ride or so to Thale from Magdeburg that morning which was nice, then we got out and trekked up to a gondola station.

Magdeburg 2009 265

I thought I was going to pee my pants when I got into the gondola and started being pulled up a wire hundreds if not thousands of feet up in the air. It really didnt help any that Andrew and Herr Coffman kept telling me that if we died it would be quick or that maybe we would just drop and roll all the way down the mountain.... so for the most part I just kept my eyes shut and tried to focus on something else and not listen to those two.

Magdeburg 2009 269

By the grace of God somehow we made it to the top and as quick as lightning I jumped out of that gondola and was relived to be standing on solid ground. Then we trekked up to the Tanzplatz and took group photos and looked out over railed cliffs at the beautiful mountains and valleys below.

Magdeburg 2009 275

We all got to do our own little thing as far as looking around went for about thirty minutes then we were to meet back at the Tanzplatz so we could start the next phase of our day, but me and Dawn got bored of the waiting and decided to act like kids again. Seeing a playground we ran over and she told me to hop onto what I can only describe as a metal teacup which you sit in but there’s a metal circle in the middle that you turn to spin yourself around with. Well of course I jumped right in and what do you know but a little German boy of no more than 7 or 8 years old decided he wanted to ride to. He hopped in and looked at Dawn who was going to actually push from the outside without me having to spin the circle in the middle and said " Gehen Sie nicht so schnell" Which means Don’t go to fast..... well Dawn just looked at him and smiled and said " Oh well little kid we are going fast!" then she began to spin us around and around .... faster and faster until I thought I was going to permanently go deaf from a German child screaming " NICHT SO SCHNELL ,NICHT SO SCHNELL!!!! " in my ear. After Dawn stopped the metal teacup and I got out feeling very dizzy we all laughed like crazy and wished we had gotten it on camera.

Magdeburg 2009 278

Magdeburg 2009 277

After that incident we went to a bobsledding ride that everyone rode but me which was fine because someone had to watch the bags and Julia which is Klaus´s Jack Russell.... the poor thing whimpered and cried the whole time he was gone and every German that went by looked at me like .... ummm what is that crazy girl doing with that nutso dog.... but it was ok because the ride didn’t last long and I got to had Julia back over to Klaus. Next we headed down this dirt path next to a river that took us to a small cafe which was nice

Magdeburg 2009 292

Magdeburg 2009 300

... but had expensive spaghetti that tasted like it had come out of a Chef Boy R Dee can ( if that’s how you spell it). Then after we stuffed ourselves we head back to the dreaded gondola station and the nightmare started all over again although the going down part wasn’t as bad as going up. Plus sadistic Herr Coffman wasn’t talking about my imminent death on that ride because I rode with Andrew, Klaus and Julia. All in all though it was a very great trip, very laid back and relaxed... which in our condition helped a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment