Monday, June 29, 2009

DAWN: Auto, Zug, oder Strassenbahn? Antwort: Alle

Magdeburg 2009 375

(On the train…)

Since I wrote my first blog on walking, I’m thinking it’s a good idea to mention all the other ways that we (or other people) get around here in Germany because the system they got going on is simply amazing. First of all, the way people drive (the reason I’m glad that I don’t have to drive over here) is a bit crazy but I haven’t seen any accidents since I’ve been here. I find that sad because Americans drive in a way that looks a lot less crazy but there’s all kinds of accidents so maybe we’re just stupid drivers and since I’ve been in two wrecks that were my fault, I include myself in that stereotype. Actually the driving here reminds me a bit of Mexico which is a weird comparison but totally valid. Whenever I’d ride in a taxi in Mexico I’d gasp every once in a while because the driver would make up his/her own lanes and get within touching distance of other cars. Also, while in Germany I’ve seen several “almost wrecks” where I watched with great interest in case there was a wreck but I was always pleasantly and slightly disappointed to see when there wasn’t because like a true American I rubber neck with the best of them. As Kel and I were discussing, Germans also have the tendency to make up their own lanes….or instead of lanes…sidewalks. Yep, sidewalks here can be streets. We’ve been casually walking (i.e. stepping German style which means a speed walk) and a car will come barreling down the sidewalk. Barreling isn’t actually that much of a hyperbole, its just plain fact. But hey, it keeps you on your toes and dissuades plugging in the Ipod and zoning out.

Magdeburg 2009 434

(The Magdeburger Strassenbahn)

Another thing that doesn’t happen in America (but totally should) is the Strassenbahn. I know why it isn’t that practical in Spartanburg but even if it were there I get the feeling that it wouldn’t go where you needed to go and it would be a little dangerous. However, here the Strassenbahn has saved my legs a whole bunch of walking and it can take you anywhere you’d like to go (as long as you know the system which I kind of just depend on Kel for that). The trains are also totally awesome because each city (it seems) is connected by the train system and it’s a cheap and easy way to get from place to place. So when we get back to South Carolina we’re all going to demand a cheap, easy, environmentally friendly, and safe transportation system because we’ve been spoiled here in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment