Wednesday, June 24, 2009

KEL: The Birds and the Bees

If there's one thing I've learned on this trip, it's that Germany is not the United States.  Things in Germany are a lot more laid back and relaxed than in the United States, and I've gathered quite a few stories.

For one thing, bikes are the way to go.  We went on a bike tour of Potsdam.  I was told that the trip would last a few hours (and that the wind speed was 5 miles SW with humidity at 60%).  The back story to this epic experience started with the fact that I hadn't been on a bike in almost five years.  Kyle kept telling me that this was what the statement "Easy as riding a bike" meant, but I wasn't completely convinced.

Magdeburg 2009 110

After getting to Potsdam and meeting up with our tour guide, we started off.  Everything went smoothly.  We saw a lot of really expensive houses and learned about a bridge the city was going to make to go around the private property of the landowners who claimed their property extended down to the water.  Our tour guide was very informative, but I soon realized that his amazing stories came with a price.  The seats on the bikes were not designed for people to sit on.  Well, at least, not in my opinion.

Magdeburg 2009 089

The area was beautiful, and we got to eat in a German/Russian Restaurant when it started to rain heavily.  The place was hidden in a corner, so no outsider would have been able to find it easily.  I love going to places like that here.  You get to really see the "real" Germany, and not just the hot tourist attractions.  This place has some amazing art on the walls as well.  It was very refreshing. 

Magdeburg 2009 135

After the rain passed and our stomachs were, we continued on our way.  The four hour tour turned into six hours, and the small hills began to look like the Alps towards the end, but by the time we finished, I knew one thing for sure:  Lance Armstrong had NOTHING on me.  I could take him any day of the week!

Now we're in Magdeburg, and things are more relaxed.  My butt and legs have fully recovered from the biking trip, which, as Herr Coffman pointed out, a lot more fun remembering.  It was another well-worth-it boot camp experience. 

Things here are a lot different than at home.  Daily life takes a lot more calculation and punctuality.  The train system runs the same every day, and if you don't make the train, you don't make it to class.  But outside of the trains, everything is "take your time.  Enjoy the moment.  Just live."  But on Sundays, everything shuts down except the bakery.

This past sunday, I bought an extra roll and Kyle and I went to a bench where we were suddenly surrounded by 30 small birds and a few pigeons.  I gave them some of my roll and had them practically eating out of my hands.  Even the birds here are more relaxed and calm, unless they're fighting over my bread.  As Kyle said, "Now I understand why old men love feeding the birds in parks so much."  We made a plan to do it again soon.

Life in Magdeburg has been very nice.  It consists of getting up, going to school, and then doing whatever our hearts desire.  For me, this consists of going to the bookstore or trying a new place to eat.  I'll take random trains in search of interesting new places in the cities or take long walks and explore new buildings, like the old churches or the Hundertwasser house.

Magdeburg 2009 259

I wake up every morning with a smile on my face, excited about getting to spend another day in the beautiful city.  Even if it is raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment