Sunday, June 28, 2009

DAWN: Two-Steppin’, Russian Fish, and Licked Ears

2009-05-13_10_53_58_factory

So yeah, Emily and I decided it would be fun to go to a Depeche Mode night at a local club last night. Actually Emily decided and only because she’s awesome I felt the need to go and be babysitter/protector but I knew that since it was Emily and I, we would have fun because that’s just what we do. So when we hopped off the Strassenbahn, I immediately was concerned. The part of the city we were in was definitely sketchy to say the least. Although Jay and the lady at the front desk of the Jugendherberge had assured us that it would be obvious where the club was as soon as we got there, Emily and I had no idea where to go. There was absolutely no one on the street and all around us were boarded up old factories.

Emily and I ended up walking down the street to a Russian convenience store that was still open even though it was pretty late. Inside they sold fish and alcohol and that was about it. The fish inside the counter looked all dried out and their eyes and mouths were still opened. Emily leaned over to me and said, “This is pretty scary.” I agreed but I asked the clerk for directions. He gave me directions in German of course but I could understand them. The only problem was his directions consisted of this, “Go past the building turn right and then right.” Unfortunately there were lots of building and Emily got a bit lost on those directions. Then we saw a woman walking her dog and I stopped her to ask her for directions. They were about as helpful as the other directions, “Go to where the wall is and the club is right there…or go around the wall and it might be on the other side.” Emily and I walked back towards the Strassenbahn and passed about 3 walls on the way there. Luckily we saw a girl dressed in “clubbing” attire and we followed her and she led us straight to the club.

Depeche_Mode_Party_10

The club was pretty small but was clean inside. At first not many people were dancing but after a while more people were on the floor. I’ve got to stop here to describe German dancing because it’s awesome. First spread your legs apart like you’re straddling a curb or something, put a beer bottle in your hand, then shift back and forth on your legs to any beat (whether or not it’s the one you’re dancing to) and occasionally run your hand through your hair or down your body…that was the German dancing we saw last night. Emily and I started calling it the German Two Step. There was an older guy there with a braided pony tail down his back. He was doing his own version of the German Two Step but he was mixing the Greek “hold your arms out like Jesus on the cross and snap your fingers” move. Emily and I got some Becks Ice to drink but then I switched to Beck Lemon and then promptly back to Becks Ice because Lemon tasted pretty gross. When it was getting a bit later, two German guys decided to hit on us. Unfortunately they were speaking “Drunkerman”(Drunk/German) so we couldn’t understand what they were saying. It was fine because they were really drunk so we weren’t holding it against them…until…one licked my ear. Totally put out we decided to leave. We arrived at the Jugendherberge thirty minutes too late and were kind of wondering what we would do since they apparently lock the doors at 2:00am but luckily the doors still opened and we got inside. All in all, it was a fun adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment