Friday, June 26, 2009

KYLE: My day with Heinz

So I'm going to interrupt the typical telling about places I've been and things I've seen to share an interesting story that occurred just yesterday. The group had left slightly earlier than I'd anticipated and I had misunderstood exactly where we were going but the mistake led to one of my most memorable experiences in Germany so far. I was under the impression that we were going to the park for the day. When I think of going to the park I think of bike paths, trees, grass, etc. apparently when they said we're going to the park they meant going into a building with science experiments and such and riding a bobsled (???).

Magdeburg 2009 373

(Herr Coffman on the bobsled)

So hopefully Herr Coffman understands why I wasn't there. Anyways, everyone went to a park called Elbauen park, which is next to the Fachhochschule where we have class everyday.

Magdeburg 2009 366

(What everyone else did…)

During that time, I was across town in the Stadtpark (city park) which is the more normal kind of park, with trees and grass and such.

Magdeburg 2009 354

(Where Kyle went)

For some reason I thought we were supposed to meet under an arch somewhere in that park so I asked a few people and no one knew where one was (because there wasn't one I guess I just made that up in my head). The last guy I had asked was an older man walking his dog. After I had concluded that we weren't meeting under an arch I figured I would walk around and try to locate the group. So I asked him if he wanted to walk and talk with me and we did, for 2 hours. We discussed lots of different things and he shared lots of interesting stories with me. He said that my German was good for the most part and when I didn't understand he would explain in another way until I understood. He taught me a few interesting German proverbs and sayings as well. There’s no doubt Ill remember my day with Heinz for years to come.

Bis Später,

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment