Friday, June 26, 2009

EMILY: Just like riding a bike….

When I found out that we were going to do a bike tour of Potsdam I collapsed into a full fledged panic.  A bike tour?  On a bike?  I hadn´t ridden one in years and despite the old adage that one always remembers, I seriously doubted that I could still ride one.  For starters, I had only ever ridden in Florida, which is beyond flat.  Also I don’t have the best of balance.  But, knowing that we were going to go on one regardless, I journeyed into my basement to find my old bike and give it a whirl before departing for Germany.  It was a disaster- an absolute disaster.  I had issues with the hills (which don´t look like hills when in a car) and I wobbled so much that I was sure I was going to take a plunge into the sidewalk.

But, when we got to Potsdam and mounted our bikes I quickly seemed to remember everything.  Maybe it was the surrounding landscape and the moviestaresque houses, or maybe it was the fact that the wind when riding kept me in a pleasant state, but either way the 13 miles (20km) was highly enjoyable.

Magdeburg 2009 088

(Harry Truman stayed here during the Potsdam Conference)

Potsdam was picturesque in a film sort of way.  Its houses were large and constructed in a grand style and the expansive park with bike paths and the occasional castle structure along the way helped add to the feeling of being implanted directly into camera action.  And, like most of Germany, history dotted the land.  Meetings of great importance had been held here during WWII and spies were exchanged on a large bridge.  Everywhere we rode there was another point of interest or interesting site to see.

Magdeburg 2009 124

(Sans souci palace in Potsdam)

Our ride was long, over five hours, coupled with a stop at an eclectic restaurant and some short breaks to wander through an old church or an important building.  And, while I´ve never been on a bike tour before, it is something I would do again (but only in cool weather of course).  Much more personal then riding on a bus, the tour of Potsdam was perhaps one of the most unique things I have done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment